Sunday, November 18, 2007

Onions!

I realized when Joda brought home this onion painting and was telling me that her instructor Mrs.Stephens was teasing her about peeling those onions, that I have never asked her to peel an onion. At least now she can say she has peeled an onion. I probably didn't peel one till I was married, actually there are a lot of things I did'nt do till I was married. Some of the things that stand out in my mind.
1. I didn't fix plumbing problems.
2. I had never baked a pie.
3. I had never baked a Turkey, or cooked a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal.
4. Never cleaned toilets.
5. I don't think I had ever did any house cleaning except for my own room.
6. Never paid a bill.
Kinda seems like I could have been a me, me , me person, but
a few things that I did before I was married was.
1. I fed the animals. Lot's of animals. Before breakfast. My Dad always said you don't eat till you have took care of your animals.
2. I worked in the garden.
3. I played outside insted of inside and rode my horse daily.
4. I helped with the laundry, our washer and dryer was out in the well house, so we had to run out to the well house to rotate laundry and bring it in the house.
5. I washed dishes.

The really funny thing is, when I married, I know I asked a lot of cooking questions and my Mom became my best friend, even before I had children. I liked the good home style meals my mom cooked and wanted to be able to do that. I started cooking Christmas dinner when I was 19 years old for the whole extended family, because when Joe was born I wanted him to smell that Turkey when he woke on Christmas morning. I still don't like to clean, and only do enough to not live in filth. I feel like I must make Joda take responability for her animals, but actually have to make myself let her feed ( I want to feed animals) Maybe thats why I have chickens, Joda does not like the chickens much so I feed them and gather the eggs. It all worked out, I learned to cook and to actually enjoy it, I learned to sew a little, because of desire, I love gardning and anything out of doors, I never learned to enjoy paying bills, but I did learn to enjoy having them paid! I've also learned to be a plumber, carpenter, tile layer, painter, mechanic out of need or want. I could'nt get a job doing these things but I can keep us going around here. So, I guess it is okay that Joda doesn't peel onions yet, she can load and unload the dishwasher, washer and dryer, she can sew a little, bake frozen cookie dough, clean the bathroom (except the toilet) I still do that, but that is okay because I know once she moves out it is her job, she helps with the gardning and had her own little garden (weed patch-haha) Out of need or want she will learn to be domestic. The one thing she seems to really be embracing is a love of our Lord and living with integrety, she is learning to be an honest, caring, loving person and I could not ask for more.

No comments: